Enables the user to design future scenarios pertaining to the prevalence and costs of coronary heart disease, and to calculate the consequences of these scenarios. The user-friendly program diskette can be run on any modern PC with a DOS operating system.
The model is based on the following elements:
- the distribution of risk factors within the population;
- the effect of preventative measures on the distribution of risk factors;
- the effect this has on the risk of heart failure;
- the course of the illness, likelihood that a heart attack will result in death, and therapeutic care;
- and the influence of treatment on the chance of survival, the quality of life and the level of medical costs.